As many of you know, my photography studio that is located in Los Angeles, California is specializing on newborns, babies and maternity sessions. My studio provides everything for cake smash session. The only thing that you need to bring is the cake. Families often ask us where the best place is to get a cake smash cake for their baby’s first birthday photo shoots. I often suggest to order your cake from your local Whole Foods. The cakes there are beautiful and delicious. 6 inches cakes are the best! Below are my list of key pointers for picking your cake smash photoshoot cake:
- Choose a soft buttercream style icing so your baby can break into the cake easily and enjoy his/her cake smash session.
- Generally, avoid dark/milk chocolate cakes – they can look yucky when smashed up! (Having said that, there are some beautiful mixed chocolate cake options out there!)
- Watch out for any decorations that could be a choking hazard.
- Decorate your own store-bought cake. You can pick a cake from which you can remove simple decorations or pick a plain cake and decorate it yourself with fresh flowers. I can help you to style it.
- Let your baby taste and play with a similar looking cake one or two days before the session – a cupcake with icing is just fine for this purpose.
- If you store the cake in the fridge, take it out the night before the birthday photoshoot so it has time to soften up before the cake smash.
- Remember that you usually need to order your cakes 3-5 days in advance of your photoshoot.
Take a look at the cake smash sessions we’ve done in the past here at Ramina Magid studios. Or you can check out popular Pinterest boards for more ideas, and I’d love to know what your favorites are too.
Also, one of the photographers that I absolutely adore is https://www.jessicaoronaphotography.com/ Her work is so stunning. Jessica is so talented and her work is beautiful!